Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Just Stop Picking At It!

I don’t love Star Wars anymore.  To be honest with you, I don’t think I like it much anymore, either.  I’m  really not one of those superfans.  Don’t get me wrong.  I’ve watched the original trilogy more than my fair share of times.  But, I don’t get my panties in a bunch when Lucas makes changes to the movies.  I really didn’t give a shit if Greedo shot first.  Or that the Emperor’s verbiage was changed in The Empire Strikes Back.  To be honest, most of the changes Lucas had made I’ve kinda liked and made sense to me.  Purists are purist, though.  So…whatever.

I admit I saw Phantom Menace 10 times in the theaters.  Between the pod race and the fight scene with Darth Maul?  Man!  That shit kept me coming back, even if the rest of the movie was way on this side of weak.  I also saw the two movies that followed.  They sucked.  Really.  The fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan at the end of Revenge of the Sith?  Meh.  The fight with Maul in Phantom Menace was by far better.  Hell, the fight between Luke and Vader at the end of Jedi was better than Anakin/Obiwan’s duel.  But, that’s neither here or there. 
The problem as I see it is all the shit that’s come after the first trilogy.  It’s all become so watered down.  Diluted, if you will.  And you will.  We had the prequels.  The Clone Wars animated movie.  Now we have the Clone Wars series, the re-re-re-releases of the original trilogy, the endless parade of toys and merchandise.  I swear Lucas is worse than Gene Simmons.
George is like the painter who can’t walk away from a painting.  I do the same thing with these articles.  I can keep going back to make changes if I wanted to.  Every one I publish, I could go back at any point in time and make a change.  And often times do.  I know.  I know.  I’m just a random, nameless dude.  I don’t have zillions, I don’t have a lucrative deal with any toy companies, so what the hell do I know?  But, a wise man once said…some things are done in their undoneness.  Or, in the immortal words of Kenny Loggins…”You gotta know when to hold them.  Know when to fold them.  Know when to walk away.  Know when to run.”
I agree with the guy who wrote this article.  It’s too late for Star Wars.  Even if George were to walk away right now, it’s done.  Over.  The only way this thing could’ve been saved was for it to go away.  For a long time.  Think back with me…Return of the Jedi came out in 1983.  The buzz for Jedi probably lasted a year or two afterward.  And besides some random mentions over the years, Star Wars really didn’t come back into pop culture til 1995ish?  That’s a good 10 years under the radar. That’s half a generation.   But, it’s too late.  And, hey, if you’re thinking reboot...you’re wrong.  Not gonna change a single thing.  This isn’t Star Trek.
So, do us all a favor…go away Star Wars.  Go away for a really long time.

1 comment:

  1. Okokokok. I admit it. My heart still belongs to The Empire Strikes Back…

    ReplyDelete