Monday, September 26, 2011

Song of the Week: Calling Dr. Love

You need my love baby, oh so bad
You're not the only one I've ever had
And if I say I wanna set you free
Don't you know you'll be in misery
They call me (Dr. Love)
They call me Dr. Love (calling Dr. Love)
I've got the cure you're thinkin' of (calling Dr. Love)
“Calling Dr. Love” by Kiss
When I talk about myself (which is one of my favorite pastimes, as if you couldn’t tell) I like to say I was a kid in the 70’s, but I grew up in the 80’s.  I say it here because I was never a fan of 70’s Kiss.  What do you want from me?  I was a stupid kid.  All’s that concerned me at the time were cartoons and toys.  Like anything has changed since then.
I say I grew up in the 80’s because that’s where most of my memories really take shape.  And because of that, I’m a bigger fan of 80’s Kiss, then of 70’s Kiss.  Yea…that’s right.  I’m talking hair metal Kiss.  God!  Nothing like it.  “Turn on the night”.  “Crazy, crazy nights”.  “Tears are falling”.  “Secretly cruel”.  That’s some good shit.
If we had the time, I’d take you on a journey in the Wayback machine to 1985 when I “discovered” Kiss’s Asylum.  I’m not sure how or why the album (yes…not cd.  Album.) came into my possession.  But, I owned it.  And loved it.  I listened to that sucker constantly.  What can I say?  I was…14ish?
I clearly remember watching TV one night and seeing a commercial for Kiss coming to the Spectrum (yes…the Spectrum.  I just said I was 14ish).   I think I managed to convince the Pope (Who was…8 at the time.  And he wasn’t the quite the Pope of Cookietown just yet.  Definitely on his way though.) to go.  Needless to say…we weren’t allowed.  Thanks, ma!  That alone took 3 years of therapy to get over.
Which brings me to our inaugural Song of the Week…“Calling Dr. Love” by Kiss.  This sucker is straight from the 70’s.  Which, if you were paying attention, I just pointed out that it’s a little before my time.  But, somewhere along the line, I’ve come to know it well enough.  And it’s certainly not because of radio, that’s for sure.  You never hear it on there.  Never, that is, until last week.  When I heard it twice. 
What a stupidly great song.  I think what I love the most about it is the weird Speak and Spell-like voice that semi-harmonizes with the chorus after the second verse.  What the hell is that, anyway?
I’ve been listening to the song pretty much non-stop since I heard it last week.  So…I figured since it’s become my latest earwig, might as well take you down with me.
Word of warning, though…if you’ve never heard the song before, it’s probably going to offend your delicate 2011 Lady Gaga popish sensibilities.  It’s not that overly produced crap you’ve been listening to the last decade or so.  Hey!  I ain’t saying 70’s music is all that great.  Believe you me, it ain’t.  I hate the 70’s just as much as you do.  I’m just prepping you, in case you never heard the song before…
And, yes, that is cowbell in the beginning…

No comments:

Post a Comment