Tuesday, February 14, 2012

What's the Deal with Cupcakes, Anyway?!?!?

stylist.co.uk:  THECULT OF THE CUPCAKE

"They're the ubiquitous pick-me-up we turn to in times of celebration and gloom...

But is our frenzied love affair with the cupcake fading, or - like that timeless designer handbag that claims pride of place in our wardrobe - is it here to stay for good?

A recent report in the Washington Post says the cupcake craze shows no sign of abating in the US, with around 700 million sold in the past year alone.

New York’s Magnolia Bakery, which achieved iconic status after a cameo appearance in Sex and the City in 2000, credits its $20 million annual turnover with sales of the bite-sized delights."

                                              talkingwithtami.com

                                       Not Kristen Wiig.  But, hilarious, nonetheless

A few weeks ago, Kelly Marie and I were watching the movie Bridesmaids.  The main character, Annie Walker (played by the flippin funny Kristen Wiig) is a former baker.  In one extended scene, she puts much time and effort into making/decorating a cake cupcake?!?!?  A cupcake?!?!?  One flippin cupcake?!?!



                                                                    en.wikipedia.org
                          Which is more boring? This or Sex in the City?

So, ok...I don't get it.  What's the deal?  What's with the cupcake madness?  Now, I admit...I've never seen Sex in the City.  The show or any of the movies.  (Yea.  That's right.  Never seen it.  Never seen It's a Wonderful Life, either.  Or Miracle on 34th Street, for that matter.  What you think of that?!?!?).  I can only guess that the article is right about that this whole cupcake phenomenon started with Sex in the City. 
                                 http://www.flickr.com/photos/sutterby/5336770815/
                                   Now we're talking!  Let's eat!!!

Even if that is the case, I still don't get it.  All the effort to making some of those fanciful cupcakes.  For what?!?!?  Now a cake?  That, I can wrap my brain around.  That makes sense to put the effort into something like that.  You're making/decorating one thing.  But, a cupcake?  It's a cupcake?!?!?  You're gonna decorate ONE cupcake?  Or, you're gonna decorate nine individual cupcakes?  Pul-lease!!!  How old does that get????
                                        blogs.commercialappeal.com
                                         Two words:  PITA!

Tell me something...how is A cupcake, one cupcake, satisfying? At least with a cake you can cut a piece to a size that's to your liking.  Or go back for 5ths if the spirit moves you.  I know.  I know.  I know what you're thinking.  You're thinking:  "But, that's the point.  By eating one cupcake, you're limiting yourself.  You're not over indulging."  Uh huh.  Right.  If that's what you're thinking, than for the love of all that's holy, you are SERIOUSLY fucking yourself.  And not in that fun way, either.  

                                            shitimiss.com
         most times i only want to hurt someone after eating the second one.

One cupcake is not satisfying.  It's not!  It's like eating one Reese's Peanut Butter cup.  Actually, no.  It's like eating two Reese's Peanut Butter cups.  Two is not enough.  Can we all agree on that?  Can we get an Occupy Hershey protest going or something?  There should be three Peanut Butter cups in that package, not two.  

But, enough of my personal agendas...

Try and convince me that you go to the store and buy ONE cupcake.  Then say "Wow!  I am so satisfied, right now!" after you stuff that lil slice of heaven in your face.  I dare you!  I dare you to say it to me with a straight face.

You're a liar!  And you know it!!!



1 comment:

  1. I think people like them because everyone tells them they should like them because they're cute and little, kind of like kids, even if you're not a kid person. That said, I don't really get the cupcake or the kid crazy. Give me pizza and a pet. Done and done!

    ReplyDelete