Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Do Me A Solid, Don't...see J Edgar

                                                                            collider.com

So…over the weekend, Kelly Marie and I watched the movie J. Edgar.  Released in 2011, it was directed by Clint Eastwood and stars Leonardo DiCapro and a bunch of other actors I may or may not have recognized.

Ok, now that we’ve got the pleasantries aside, let’s talk turkey.  Is the movie any good?  Well, that depends.  I know when you hear a title like J. Edgar, your initial reaction is to hunch over like you’ve been punched in the gut and start crying like a little girl.  I mean, I still get flashbacks to the teeth scraping that was 8th grade history when I hear the names J Edgar Hoover, Joseph McCarthy and Dwight Eisenhower.  I mean, my hands are twitching right now.  Look:

                                                                                                     en.wiktionary.org

But, as painful as it all sounds, I rather liked the movie.  I mean...it’s long, first of all.  It’s by no means a short picture.  And if you’re looking for action?  Violence?  Boobs (and honestly, who isn’t)?  This movie ain’t for you.  It’s got NONE of those things.  But, if you like your history (and lots of talking), this is your movie.

I don’t know what liberties Clint Eastwood took with actual events. I’m no expert on 20th century US history, by any means.  Now, if you want to know who drew Superman from the 50’s up until Crisis on Infinite Earths in ’86, that bit of useless info I’m well versed in.

superman.kinlok.nu
                I can tell you who took over Superman post Crisis, too...

Anyway, you know how it is with moviemakers and their “based on actual events”.  That’s code for totally make shit up.  I was CRUSHED when I learned that William Wallace didn’t scream “Freedom” when his nuts were being separated from his body like he did in the movie Braveheart.  Or that Jim Morrison didn’t really walk up to the camera and sing “higher” on the Ed Sullivan show like he did in the movie The Doors. 

                                                 deadlinenews.co.uk
                     Wait. That’s Wallace? Where’s the blue paint?!?!?

Be that as it may, J Edgar’s mommy, well…whew!  She really did a number on this cat.  When Edgar, already the head of the FBI, starts coming to terms that he may (or may not) be gay, his mother relates to him a story about a kid from Edgar’s childhood who the town called “Daffy”.  As in “Daffodil”.  Long story short (go see the movie if you want the gory details) Daffy kills hisself because he’s gay.  J Edgar’s mommy, finishes up this tale to her adult son by saying:  “I’d rather have a dead son, than a daffodil son.” Wow!  That’s one that may leave a mark.

My other favorite part?  At the end of the movie, Nixon is informed by phone that Edgar died.  He hangs up, turns to one of his flunkies and says:  “Blah, blah, blah.  I want those fucking files.”  It was just how the actor playing Nixon, says the line.  The emphasis on “fucking”?  Classic!  These guys were power hungry narcissists!  Insane!  I love that behind the scenes shit.

                                                                                                            insidetv.ew.com
                                              Bor-ring!

So, if you got +2 hours to kill, and are sick of The Big Bang Theory, do me a solid, don’t watch J. Edgar

BTW…it was Curt Swan who drew Superman all those years.  And if one of you nerds, posts a comment that “so and so” actually drew Superman for 7 issues in 1967, I’m totally gonna not acknowledge it.

9 comments:

  1. I need to check out this movie. It sounds really interesting ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're being sarcastic, aren't you?

      Delete
  2. "Jim Morrison didn’t really walk up to the camera and sing “higher” on the Ed Sullivan show"...he didn't??? I'm crushed. Might have to skip that one...I have to clean my toe nails

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know, right?!?!? i remember watching the actual footage of Morrison singing on the Ed Sullivan show. He just sang the song, like he was just singing the song. No extra swagger, no extra emphasis. Nothing. Stupid Oliver Stone.

      No offense, Oliver. :)

      Delete
  3. It kind of sounded like you liked it, though. My parents saw it. My dad thought it was great. My husband wanted to see it and we never did. Maybe I'll just keep it that way now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know...I did like it. But, you're probably right. You may not want to remind anyone of the movie. For your own sake. :)

      Delete
    2. I will definitely take your advice! Thanks for linking this up over at #findingthefunny AND for your condolences. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  4. This is why I don't watch historic movies. I was a history major in college, even got an MA in Early Modern British History but minored in American History. Inaccuracies in movies drive me buggy.

    And I in turn drive everyone around me buggy by pointing all the inaccuracies out.

    I can't watch movies based on books I've read for similar reasons. But I can read books with historic inaccuracies with no problem at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! Funny bout driving everyone around you buggy. :)

      It's so disappointing when you watch a movie, then do just a little research about whatever that movie was about. and find so much "creative license" was taken. i don't even take a much "creative license" here as most moviemakers do! and i'm a total fabricator! :)

      Delete