Friday, March 23, 2012

Song of the Immediate Future: Love Interruption

I want love to: roll me over slowly,
Stick a knife inside me, and twist it all around.
I want love to: grab my fingers gently,
Slam them in a doorway, Put my face into the ground.
I want love to: murder my own mother,
Take her off to somewhere, like hell, or up above.
And I want love to: change my friends to enemies,
Change my friends to enemies, and show me how it's all my fault.

And I won't let love disrupt, corrupt or interrupt me
I won't let love disrupt, corrupt or interrupt me
Yeah I won't let love disrupt, corrupt or interrupt me, anymore.

I want love to: walk right up and bite me,
Grab a hold of me and fight me, leave me dying on the ground.
I want love to: split my mouth wide open,
And cover up my ears and never let me hear a sound
I want love to: forget that you offended me,
Or how you have defended me when everybody talked me down
Yeah and I want love to: change my friends to enemies,
Change my friends to enemies, and show me how it's all my fault.
I’ve heard this song a few times over the last couple weeks on the college radio station I listen to.  Yes.  I’m forced to listen to college radio.  Cause radio stations suck.   But, I’m not going to start that rant here.  Again.  I brought us here together to talk about “Love Interruption.”

So, after hearing the song a few times, I checked to see who it was by.  I was expecting some obscure, unknown band like “Flies on an Open Wound” or something.  I was more than pleasantly surprised to find out it was Jack White from the White Stripes?!?!?
                                                                       nme.com
                        For the 1000th time, Jack Black is someone else entirely

Now, I’m not entirely sure how I feel about Jack White (Hang on Jack. Don’t get upset.  Let me explain.).  I want to like him and his music.  Kinda the way I want to like Tim Burton and his movies.  But, I’ve given up on Burton.  As much as I want to like his movies, that it’s the cool thing to do, my feelings toward his work range from boring to downright annoying.  I don’t know.  I don’t get it.  I don’t think anyone does, really.  All his fans just pretend they do.  Like I used to.
                                                                                                                         out-of-the-wordwork.blogspot.co
                                                                                              I don’t think he gets it either

Jack White may be a different story, though.  There are a bunch of his songs that I’m into.  “Icky Thump” and “You Don’t Know What Love is…” with the White Stripes. “Steady as She Goes” with the Raconteurs.  Plus, he did that movie with the Edge of U2 and Jimmy Page (which I have yet to see, but is on my short list of movies to watch).  So, how bad could the guy be?  I say he’s cool, in the “genius, but I’ll probably never have a conversation with about anything goofy” kinda way
After I find out that the song is by Jack White, I really give it a listen.  And…wait.  What?  What did he just sing?  Did he really just say:  “I want love to grab my fingers gently, slam them in the doorway…”  Ummm, what?!?!?  Wait.  Did he just say:  “I want love to murder my own mother.  Take her off to hell, or somewhere up above”?!?!?  Did you take a look at the lyrics I reproduced without Jack White’s permission (sorry, Jack).  Those just aren’t sentiments, you hear every day.  Somehow those words don’t match the music he’s playing, either.  Twisted…


                                                                                                                             stereogum.com

                                     Man!  She can “crazy” wail!

And the girl singing background vocals?  Wow!  The longer the song goes on, the crazier she gets.  My only complaint about the song?  It clocks in at 2:34?!?!?  You couldn’t stick in one more verse in there, Jack?!?!?  You couldn’t come up with one more “I want love to: Grab a baby seal and club him in the head” (I kid!  I kid!  Clubbing baby seals is wrong.  Very wrong!  I don't condone it. And it's not funny, either!)
                                                                                             Not funny, dude.  Not funny at all.


I’ll take the song for what it is.  Give it a whirl:

4 comments:

  1. Good post. I first got interested Jack's music after the movie "It might get loud". Icky Thump is a cool song, but Seven Nation Army really rocks (and it's the theme song for the new GI Joe movie). There's definitely a coolness to his music, and I agree that he goes over the edge on occasion. Let me put it this way, I've downloaded like 3 of his songs from iTunes, but haven't bought a full album. On the other hand, I've bought like 10 of U2's albums, so what's that tell ya. I guess it says, I like U2 way better then Jack White. Peach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks!!!

      i really want to see "it might get loud". just keep forgetting about it when movie time comes around. plus, i doubt anyone else in my house wants to see it. my one daughter didn't even know who u2 was!?!? and she's 13!?!?!?

      Delete
  2. Ok, I'm confused. I admit, I like some of Jack Whites stuff too but was not familiar with this song. I think I would understand it more if he was clubbing baby seals too, but, of course that would so not be ok - but maybe clubbing the mother would fly? I love how you always come up with this stuff!ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's totally NOT ok to hurt other beings. although it may be very tempting to smack a kid. especially if the kid is yours, but even that's wrong. wrong!!!

      Delete