Thursday, April 12, 2012

Photo Essay: Ones

Look.  I admit, there’s something wrong with me. Stupid shit bugs me.  Not to the extent where I’m at the front door in my boxers screaming at the neighborhood kids to get the hell off my lawn.  I’m not that bad.  At least not yet.  Just…do me a solid, don’t ask my kids.

No.  I’m more talking about stuff like this:




I know. I know.  I know what you’re thinking.  You’re thinking:  “Are you sure you’re not some sort of curmudgeon?  They’re just fancy prunes.”  Look, if that’s what you’re thinking, then nuts to you!  They’re not just “fancy” prunes.  There’s nothing fancy about them at all.  Well, except for the packaging.



“Ones?”  Yep!   Those are individually wrapped prunes!   For real.  Sunsweet is selling prunes like they’re candy or something.  But, really, what’s the difference between those and these?



Well, besides the fact that you get more in that yellow container, they cost a little bit less, and taste a bit better (yes, for the sake of this article, I ate both prunes.  I’m not even going to tell you what my morning's been like) then the "ones" in the special packaging, there’s nothing different about then.


   
In all fairness, the packaging on the “fancy” prunes does say they’re “super select”.  I’m not exactly sure how they’re defining “super select” here.  My guess, though, is complete rip off.



Honestly, I don’t even know why I give a shit (as it were).  I don’t even like prunes!  Maybe it’s the point.  Or maybe the problem just lies with your friendly neighborhood jman.  Unfortunately, marketing works on me.  If you slap a “new” on a product, I’m there.  Repackage something, this is me:

                                                  fark.com

I’m just a stupid sheeple.  At some point in my life, if my kids want my vast fortune, they’re going to have to take my money away from me.  Cause I know I’m just gonna end up walking around Target, day after day, with a cart full of shit that says “New” on it.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! Appreciate that! Tell your friends! Even the ones who aren't really your friends. :)

      Thanks for commenting, too!

      Delete
  2. Ha - right on!!! Those marketing guys are earning their money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes to me? Oh, they certainly do...

      Delete
  3. Haha, sucker! Just kidding. I fall for pretty packaging if it helps, yes, even if it's prunes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sucker? sucker?!?!? how'd you know that was my middle name?

      Delete
  4. I'm not allowed to go to Target anymore, because I find so many shiny things that I didn't know I needed. Also, I'm not allowed to eat prunes anymore, 'cause, you know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. damn that Target, and their shiny things that I didn't know I needed either! damn them!

      Delete
  5. Prunes are prunes. I shop generic all the time, but I do like that fancy packaging :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agreed!!! someone had a brilliant idea to wrap prunes individually and sell them for a lot more money. i commend that person, but...their still prunes. nice try, Sunsweet. nice try.

      Delete
  6. Wow - we should let Oriental trading company know. Maybe they can advertise for them. According to another fun blog post linked through the Kelley's Break Room link up they are selling all kinds of non-green items for earth day. LOL

    I thought we were supposed to be concerned for the environment and getting better about stuff like this! UGH! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! Hey, we're all sheeple at some point. That fancy packaged prune business is crazy. Are prunes the new thing or something? I haven't had a prune...maybe ever. I'm oddly tempted by that "Ones" packaging, though. See? I'm one of the sheeple, too.

    (Thanks for linking this up over at #findingthefunny last week!)

    ReplyDelete